An Autumn inspired bread boat loaded with seasonal vegetables and pumpkin seed pesto. Baked to perfection, this boat is healthy, delicious and easy to make!
- 1 large loaf of sourdough bread
- 1/2–1 medium zucchini
- 1/2–1 yellow squash
- 1/2–1 Italian eggplant
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
Oil-Free White Bean & Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can cannellini beans (or 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons water (or as needed to blend)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Prepare the bread. Carve out a wide and deep piece from the top (refer to the video in post). Hallow out the bread until you have a thin wall left for your boat. Cut the excess bread off of the top piece in order to create a lid.* Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and get a large baking pan ready for the bread.
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly slice the zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant into long strips. You’ll need 1/2-1 full zucchini, yellow and eggplant depending on the size of your bread.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a grill pan over medium heat, and once it has warmed through, add in your sliced zucchini strips and cook until nice grill marks have developed. Continue until you have grilled all of the vegetables, being sure to place them onto separate plates when finished.
- Next, prepare the pesto. Simply add all of the ingredients into a food processor and run until you have reached your desired consistency (we prefer ours to be slightly chunky). Set aside.
- To assemble, spread in a layer of pesto, followed by a layer of one of the grilled vegetables. Continue until the bread is full, rotating vegetables between each layer of pesto and being sure to leave enough room for the lid to fit on top.
- Once full, place the bread onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Allow the bread to cool until it can easily be handled, then cut into slices and serve.
- Use the leftover bread to create croutons, check out our recipe here:
- Category: Entree, Fall