This white bean and escarole soup is perfect for the cold winter months and is so easy to make! It requires 8 simple ingredients and will be ready in about 30 minutes. Plus it is loaded with healthy plant0based ingredients and is free of gluten and oil.
- 64 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 medium heads escarole, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes*
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 sprigs of thyme, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pepper, to taste
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Toasted Italian bread, or bread of choice (gluten-free if needed)
In a large pot over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons vegetable broth. Once warmed, add in the shallots, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the shallots are softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once the shallots are softened, add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth or as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the escarole and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the escarole is wilted. You can pop a lid on to speed up the process. Add in fire roasted tomatoes, cannellini beans, thyme, oregano, and remaining vegetable broth. Mix everything well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese and toasted Italian bread. Enjoy!
- We had enough escarole to fit a 4-quart bowl.
- Regular canned tomatoes work too.
- If you can’t find escarole, you can substitute radicchio, spinach, chard, kale or even cabbage! All of these will work, it will be just a slightly different flavor 🙂
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 1 week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free
Keywords: Soup, Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, White Bean, Escarole