These Copycat Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits taste like I remember growing up, but vegan! They require simple ingredients and only about 30 minutes to prepare. They are the perfect side dish or appetizer for any party or holiday gathering.
- 8 tablespoons (112 g) vegan butter, cold
- About 1 cup (250 mL) cold soy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cups (270 g) of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (80 g) vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Garlic Butter Topping
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- Remove your vegan butter from the refrigerator. Using a sharp knife, cut the butter into small cubes. Place the butter in the freezer to chill.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, add the apple cider vinegar. Then, add the plant milk until it reaches the 1 cup line. Mix and allow this to sit to form vegan buttermilk. Place the buttermilk and a large mixing bowl in the freezer and let these chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer and add the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt, garlic powder, and baking soda. Mix until well combined.
- Grab a food processor and add 3/4 of the flour mixture.
- Remove the butter cubes from the freezer and add them in as well. Run the food processor on high for about 30 seconds to break down the butter and create a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add the contents of the food processor back into the mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Quickly and gently stir everything together, just until incorporated. Gently fold in the vegan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Using an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic butter topping. Mix melted vegan butter, chopped parsley, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush the topping on the warm biscuits once removed from the oven. Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Instead of using a food processor, you can cut the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter. Add the butter into the flour mixture and use one of the two to “cut” the butter into the dry ingredients and create a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Although they are best when fresh, you can store any leftover biscuits at room temperature in an airtight container for several days.
- You can freeze leftover biscuits; once they’re cool, place them in an airtight container and freeze. Use within 3 months.
- We have not tested this recipe with gluten-free flour(s) and therefore do not have a gluten-free recommendation.
- If you want an additional hint of spice, we recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Category: Appetzers, Sides
- Method: Oven