Get ready for some of the fluffiest vegan pancakes that you’ve ever had. Our vegan buttermilk pancakes are easy to make and are guaranteed to hit the spot when you’re in need of a classic stack for Sunday brunch….or any day of the week 😉
- 1 Flax egg (1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill vegan cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare a flax egg. In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed meal along with the water and mix until uniform. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat a griddle or medium/large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- In another bowl, mix together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set the mixture aside to rest for 5-10 minutes. The almond milk will curdle, forming vegan buttermilk.
- In the meantime, prepare the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of flour (to start), the baking powder, vegan cane sugar and salt until uniform. Once the flax egg and buttermilk are ready, add those into the dry ingredients along with the vanilla extract. Whisk together until just combined but do not over-stir as this creates tough pancakes. Add 1-3 tablespoons more flour as needed if the dough is watery– we added 2 more.
- Lightly grease the non-stick pan or griddle and add the pancake batter 1/4 cup at a time. Flip once the edges begin to dry and bubbles appear on the surface. and cook for a few minutes more.
- Serve warm.
- We prefer to use a griddle to cut down on the cook time but cooking multiple pancakes at once.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes