Green chili’s mixed in with masa and fresh corn, these savory corn pancakes hold a flavor combo similar to that of tamales, but in flapjack form. Get ready for an epic savory breakfast experience unlike any other.
Cilantro Dill Cream Sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened plain cashew yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Savory Corn Pancakes
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon flax meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill masa harina
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1–2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened cashew yogurt
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ounces chopped green chiles
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions + 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro + 1 teaspoon for garnish
For the sauce:
- In a blender add in all ingredients and blend on high for 10-15 seconds, until everything is combined!
For the pancakes:
- Prepare your flax egg. In a small bowl, add together 2 tablespoons of flax meal and 6 tablespoons of water, mix together and set aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat a griddle or medium/large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, add in masa harina, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, nutritional yeast, salt, and cumin. Mix together until everything is well combined and set aside.
- In a blender, add the flax egg, 1 cup of almond milk, cashew yogurt and 3 tablespoons of corn. Blend on high for 10-15 seconds until smooth.
- Add the contents of the blender into the dry ingredients and whisk until a batter-like consistency has formed. You can add more almond milk as needed if the batter is too thick.
- Mix in the green chilies, scallions, and cilantro into the batter until all ingredients are combined.
- Lightly grease the non-stick pan or griddle and add the pancake batter 1/4 cup at a time. Top each pancake with about 1 tablespoon of additional corn kernels. Flip once the edges begin to dry and bubbles appear on the surface. and cook for a few minutes more.
- Remove from griddle and let cool, then top with the cilantro dill cream sauce, corn, scallions, and cilantro
- Nutrition facts take into account all of the sauce being used. To cut down on the fat content, half the sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes