This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill.
Who says that pancakes need to be sweet? I don’t know about you, but I definitely prefer a savory breakfast so I was excited to come up with a savory corn pancake recipe. Since Jasmine was a tamale making machine over the holiday season this year, we had a bunch of masa harina that needed to be put to use. I took this as the perfect opportunity to make Savory Corn Cakes and topped them with a cilantro and dill cream sauce for a flavor combination that is sure to knock your socks off.These savory corn pancakes might just be one of my all-time favorite creations. The mix chili’s with the masa and fresh corn, pack a flavor combo similar to tamales, but in flapjack form. I promise you an epic breakfast experience unlike any other when you make these. Although they have a slight kick, the cilantro cream sauce does the perfect job of cooling them down and adding a perfect mix of flavors.Jasmine and I went head to head in an epic pancake showdown where she made Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes with a Golden Milk Sauce that was honestly to die for (even though I liked mine better ;). You can find the Pancake challenge video here! Let us know who you think had the best pancake creation! Better yet, make both of them and then decide…you definitely won’t regret it!As always, please make sure you tag us on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of our recipes, we love to see your photos!Print
Savory Corn Pancakes w/ Cilantro Dill Cream Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Yield: 10-12 Pancakes
Cilantro Dill Cream Sauce
- 1 cup unsweetened plain cashew yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Savory Corn Pancakes
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon flax meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill masa harina
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened cashew yogurt
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ounces chopped green chiles
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions + 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro + 1 teaspoon for garnish
For the sauce:
- In a blender add in all ingredients and blend on high for 10-15 seconds, until everything is combined!
For the pancakes:
- Prepare your flax egg. In a small bowl, add together 2 tablespoons of flax meal and 6 tablespoons of water, mix together and set aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat a griddle or medium/large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, add in masa harina, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, nutritional yeast, salt, and cumin. Mix together until everything is well combined and set aside.
- In a blender, add the flax egg, 1 cup of almond milk, cashew yogurt and 3 tablespoons of corn. Blend on high for 10-15 seconds until smooth.
- Add the contents of the blender into the dry ingredients and whisk until a batter-like consistency has formed. You can add more almond milk as needed if the batter is too thick.
- Mix in the green chilies, scallions, and cilantro into the batter until all ingredients are combined.
- Lightly grease the non-stick pan or griddle and add the pancake batter 1/4 cup at a time. Top each pancake with about 1 tablespoon of additional corn kernels. Flip once the edges begin to dry and bubbles appear on the surface. and cook for a few minutes more.
- Remove from griddle and let cool, then top with the cilantro dill cream sauce, corn, scallions, and cilantro
- Nutrition facts take into account all of the sauce being used. To cut down on the fat content, half the sauce.
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, but all of our opinions remain our own!