I know that it may be difficult for some to eat raw kale in a salad as it naturally has a slightly bitter flavor, but a great way to serve it if that is the case is to roast it first! Not only does it add a new layer of texture to this salad, it brings out a whole new flavor in the kale.
I made this recipe in collaboration with PlantPure Communities, a nonprofit organization that was formed partly as an outgrowth of the 2015 hit movie PlantPure Nation directed by Nelson Campbell. In order to celebrate Earth Day, they have created a 30 day challenge to eat leafy greens every day of the month of April called #30daysofgreen. Part of their work is to raise awareness about nutrition research, much of which was led by Nelson’s father, Dr. T. Colin Campbell in the book The China Study, and they strive to promote the benefits of a whole food, plant-based lifestyle in a way that is accessible to a diverse audience. Their social media challenge will provide everything from recipes and nutritional information to cooking tips and health advice–all relating back to the importance of daily greens!
- 1 bunch lacinato make, stems removed + roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ large tomato, diced
- ⅓ large cucumber, halved then sliced
- ⅓ cup chickpeas
- ½ Fuji Apple, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons oil free hummus
- 2-3 tablespoons water, as needed to thin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Roasted Kale: Preheat the oven to 400F. Whisk together all of the kale seasoning ingredients (except the kale) until smooth. Add in the kale and massage until it is evenly distributed. Spread into a single layer on 1-2 lined baking sheets and bake for 10-11 minutes, until wilted and slightly crispy. Remove from oven, let cool to room temp.
- Dressing: Whisk the hummus together with water and garlic powder until smooth.
- Assembly: Add all of the salad ingredients + the kale into a large bowl and mix until uniform, then pour over dressing as you would like to taste. Serve with lemon wedges and the rest of the dressing on the side!
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that we earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!