I was invited to a Thanksgiving potluck this year, but I was so overwhelmed by all of the dishes I was going to make for our actual thanksgiving celebration that I really wanted to keep it simple for this dish. I made this dish on a Friday night for a Saturday potluck, but I woke up feeling off and ill, and decided not to go 🙁 I was really bummed as I wanted to share this dish with my friends, and I also had made a double batch of this, so I was worried of the waste! Luckily, the leftovers of this dish keep well for a few days, and are great cold straight out of the refrigerator believe it or not.Print
Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad With Lemon & Fresh Herbs
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 large butternut squash, diced small
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1/3 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 small lemon (about 3-4 tbsp)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the butternut squash on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While squash is roasting, in a medium pot cook the onions, garlic and shallot with water or vegetable broth until soft and translucent.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear. Drain, transfer to the pot with the remaining ingredients up to the vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat for 5 minutes *covered*, then uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Add in the spinach, squash, cranberries, lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste and stir until combined. Adjust seasonings to taste as needed.
Chris and I dug into these leftovers for a late Sunday lunch and paired them with simple pitaya smoothies, I will include the recipe for you below to try out. What a beautiful and vibrant meal! We bumped up the nutrition with Amazing Grass Superfood Goji & Acai Berry Powder, and it all turned out great 🙂 I felt so much better after a restful weekend and simple nourishing foods.
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season, cheers xoPrint
Superfood Pitaya Smoothie
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1-2
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 scoop Amazing Grass Superfood Goji & Acai Powder
- 1 frozen pitaya pack
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 ripe fuyu persimmon
- Blend together and enjoy!