This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Lomi but all opinions are our own.
As food creators, we’re constantly sharing recipe ideas and essentially encouraging our audience to cook at home more often, so it’s important that we also address food waste.
We look at food waste as being a given part of life, but did you know that the average American family loses $2,000 in food waste every year? In fact, 43% of food waste in the U.S. happens at the household level.
That’s where the Lomi Bloom comes in– the next generation of Smart WasteTM management and my new favorite appliance.
Table of contents
Use code “sweetsimplevegan” to get FREE Lomi Labels with Lomi purchase.
What is Lomi Bloom?
Lomi Bloom is a countertop composting system that helps you reduce waste by transforming food waste into immediately usable nutrient-rich plant food in as little as 4 hours. With the use of heat, abrasion, oxygen, and helpful bacteria, Lomi speeds up the natural process of breaking waste materials into compost.
What Can You Put in The Lomi?
Lomi can handle more than just food waste – it can also break down other compostable items, including bioplastics, paper products, coffee filters, and packaging. What you put in it will vary based on your intended use of the outcome.
The Three Lomi Modes
What you intend to use the output for will also determine which cycle you run. Each mode functions best when the appropriate material is added.
There are 3 cycles available:
- Eco-Express: This fast cycle (3-5 hours) is designed to handle all kinds of food waste and is not meant to break down bioplastics.
- Grow: This is the longest mode and creates nutrient-rich Lomi Earth that is perfect for adding to indoor and outdoor plants. Avoid adding highly processed foods.
- Lomi Approved: This mode should be used to break down Lomi Approved bioplastics, paper products, and packaging. You can find more details on Lomi Approved products here.
Benefits of Lomi
When you use Lomi to transform food waste into nutrient-rich plant food, you can:
- Reduce your carbon footprint by 127% – Lomi is Carbon Negative
- Ditch synthetic fertilizers for your lawn + garden
- Create a circular regenerative farming model
- Reduce food waste, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Turn your trash into cash with the Lomi App
If you’re curious about the best ways to use or dispose of Lomi Earth, check out this guide.
Despite the electricity consumed, Lomi Bloom produces a net lower carbon footprint and offsets the electrical demands of running the machine.
Each cycle uses roughly the same amount of power as an oven for 15 minutes or an amount of energy less than or equal to an average dishwasher cycle.
Turn Trash into Cash
With the Lomi App, you can earn points every time you run a cycle, which can be redeemed for free products from Lomi and other sustainable brands.
Overall, we can’t recommend Lomi enough. It’s the perfect tool to utilize if you’re looking to reduce waste and make the most of your food scraps. Not only is it simple to use, but you can put to use waste that would otherwise end up in a landfill. Also, since they’ve now introduced incentives for using a Lomi, it’s an all-around win/win. Once you Lomi Bloom for yourself, we think you will see that it is well worth the investment!