Learn how to make a veganized version of this popular Filipino dish made with vegan chicken stewed with tomato sauce and vegetables. It is packed with flavor, SO easy to make, and naturally gluten-free! Plus, it tastes just like the classic dish.
- ½ bag (4 oz.) soy curls* (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon better than bouillon vegan chicken broth paste
- 2 ⅓ cups water
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil (or cooking oil of choice)* (see notes)
- 3 dried bay leaves
- ½ large onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell peppers, diced
- 2 vegan hot dogs (we used Field Roast Frankfurters)
- 3 small red potatoes, medium diced* (see notes)
- 2 small carrots, medium diced* (see notes)
- 1 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce (we used Trader Joe’s
- 8 oz. frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (to deepen the flavor)
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning (for additional chicken flavor)
- Prepare the soy curls. Mix the vegan chicken broth paste into a small pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add the soy curls into the pot and use a spoon to mix and make sure that every piece is covered with water. Set aside and allow the soy curls to rehydrate for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, set a large pot over medium heat and add in the oil. Once heated, add in the bay leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the onions and garlic, and continue cooking until the garlic is fragrant the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the bell peppers and vegan hot dogs, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Next, add in the carrots and potatoes. Mix until well combined an allow this to cook for 4 minutes, mixing often. The carrots and potatoes should be slightly softened but not cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, peas, and the soy curls with the broth. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add the remaining ⅓ cup of water into the tomato sauce can, swirl it around to get any remaining sauce and pour that all into the pot.
- Cover, and simmer on medium low until the carrots and tomatoes are cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. We added a lot of black pepper as it is one of our favorite spices!
- Remove from heat and cool before serving. You can remove the bay leaves or just eat around them. Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Instead of soy curls you can opt to use any vegan chicken, beef or pork substitutions. Keep in mind that the final results will vary.
- You can make this dish oil-free by using vegetable broth or water so sauté instead of oil.
- Be sure to cut your potatoes and carrots in similarly sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- The vegan hot dogs and peas are not necessary but we recommend them for additional flavor and color (from the peas)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Entree, Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Filipino, Gluten-free
Keywords: Vegan, Filipino, Gluten-free, afritada, soy curls, vegan chicken