Elevate your next meal with this mouthwatering cheesy broccoli rice casserole. This casserole is just about as effortless as it gets and is ready in about an hour.
- 1/2 cup (65g) raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 medium (about 1 cup) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups hot low-sodium vegetable broth (see step 5)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- Vegan parmesan cheese, as desired for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and get a (9×9-inch) casserole dish ready. (see notes)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Once it is boiling, remove the pot from heat and add in the cashews. Soak for 20 minutes or until softened and drain.
- Add the soaked and drained cashews to a high speed blender along with the remaining ingredients for the cashew cream. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of water broth along with the diced onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 3 minutes, adding 2 more tablespoons of water as needed to prevent burning. Alternatively, you can cook these in 1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Heat your vegetable broth just until it begins to boil. We do this in a microwave to keep it quick but you can also do it on the stove!
- Transfer the cooked mixture to a 9×9-inch baking dish along with the cashew cream, vegetable broth, brown rice, chickpeas and shredded carrots. Mix everything together until uniform.
- Evenly arrange the broccoli over the casserole.
- Tightly cover the dish with foil and place it into the oven for 60 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe was inspired by From My Bowl and our Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
- We have tested this in a smaller and taller baking dish and it worked as well! We just suggest you use a small-medium sized dish.
- Cauliflower would work great in this recipe too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
Keywords: vegan, broccoli, cheddar, cashews, casserole, dump and bake, entree, dinner, lunch, brown rice