Tater tots taken to a whole new level. Not only do these tots have potatoes, but they are also loaded with zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, onions, and garlic! This recipe is kid-friendly and is the perfect way to pack more vegetables and nutrients into their diets.
- 1 large (8.2 oz.) zucchini
- 1 medium (8.5 oz.) white potato, peeled
- ½ small (10.4 oz.) head of cauliflower
- 1 medium (2.75 oz.) carrot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- ⅓ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 medium (4 oz.) white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Into a large bowl or onto a cutting board, grate the zucchini, white potato, cauliflower, and carrot, with a coarse grater. Transfer the grated vegetables to a large bowl mix them together with a ½ teaspoon of salt. Let the vegetables sit for 20 minutes to allow the salt to draw out some of the moisture.
- In the meantime, prepare the flax egg. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water and set it aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- After 20 minutes, transfer the grated veggies into a clean kitchen towel (or a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag). Clean the bowl they were in by giving it a quick rinse, drying it, and setting it aside. Grab a small bowl and strain out as much liquid from the vegetables as you can. Discard liquid.
- Place the grated veggies back into the bowl and mix in the prepared flax eggs, vegan parmesan, panko breadcrumbs, parsley, white onion, garlic, pepper, and remaining salt. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form it into a tater tot shape. It may be difficult to start, but eventually, you will get the hang of it. Refer to the video in this post if you need assistance! Continue until you have formed 20-25 tots.
- Transfer to the lined baking sheet and place into the oven for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown, being sure to flip halfway through.
- Cool and then serve with your choice of dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- This recipe is adapted from Tasty Junior.
- Store the tots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat, pop them into the oven on a baking sheet at 400F for 5-8 minutes, or until warmed through.
- To freeze these tots for later, follow the recipe all the way through and allow the tots to cool. Transfer the tots to a sheet tray or large plate in a single layer and place in freezer for at least 1 hour, and then transfer the frozen tots to a freezer safe bag or container. Store for up to 3 months. To reheat, pop them into the oven on a baking sheet at 400F for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snack, Lunch
- Cuisine: Vegan, Oil-free
Keywords: Snack, Lunch, Vegan, Oil-free, Tots, Kids