Baked Mac & Cheese Bites make the perfect appetizer! Serve them for a Super Bowl Party, or whenever really. This recipe makes 48 bites so it’s ideal to serve a large group of people.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart VeganEgg
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese (I used 1 cup Follow Your Heart Cheddar + 1 cup Follow Your Heart Mozzarella)
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (plus more to top)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegan marinara, to serve
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly oil 2 mini cupcake trays.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, add in your vegan butter. Once melted, add the garlic, and onions, and sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions are translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- As those cook, prepare the vegan egg mixture. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the VeganEgg with the ice cold water until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Once the onions and garlic are cooked down, add the almond milk and stir to combine. Slowly whisk in the cream cheese, shredded cheeses, and the VeganEgg and continue mix until the cheese has melted down completely and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked elbow pasta and mix together until fully coated with the cheese mixture. Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup of breadcrumbs. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Use a 1 tablespoon scoop to add the mac and cheese mixture to the prepared mini cupcake trays and top each bite with a pinch more of breadcrumbs
- Place into the oven for 30 minutes and then broil on the top rack on high for 1 minute until browned.
- Allow the bites to cool completely before serving with marinara or a dip of your choice!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 37 minutes
- Category: Entree, Super Bowl