A swirled cheesecake brownie that is vegan, gluten-free and easy to make! Sweet, tangy and decadent treat that is sure to impress the whole family, vegans and nonvegans alike!
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup smooth unsweetened unsalted almond or peanut butter * (see notes)
- 1 1/4 cups (282g) organic cane sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (148g) Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour (or use all-purpose if not gluten-free)
- 2/3 cup (69g) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. Simple Truth Plant Based cream cheese alternative
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 metal pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, prepare the flax egg by mixing together 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons water. Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Once the flax egg has thickened, add the almond/peanut butter, cane sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix together until uniform, and then add in the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix together just until uniform, do not over mix. It if it a bit lumpy, that is ok! It does not need to be smooth.
- Transfer about 1/4 cup of the brownie batter to a small bowl and set aside. Add the remaining brownie batter to the lined pan and spread it out evenly. Set aside.
- In another medium to large mixing bowl, prepare the cheesecake layer. First add in the cream cheese alternative and sugar. With a hand mixer (or a whisk), whip them together until smooth. Add in the remaining cheesecake ingredients and whip everything together until smooth. Evenly pour the cream cheese mixture over the brownie batter in the pan. Use a spatula to carefully spread the layer smooth. It there are some “bare” spots, that is alright! Just try your best.
- Take your reserved 1/4 cup brownie batter (stir it if it has become stiff stir) and drop it/drizzle it over the cheesecake layer. You can refer to the photo in the post to see how we did this, but there is no right or wrong way! Using a knife or a toothpick, swirl the brownie batter into the cheesecake batter as desired.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
- You can swap the peanut butter for any nut or seed butter. Coconut butter should work too!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dessert, Brownies, cheesecake, swirl, lemon