These gluten-free thumbprint cookies are easy to make and require just 8 ingredients. This buttery and perfectly sweet vegan cookie is filled with strawberry + apricot jam and lightly dusted with powdered sugar. They make the perfect Christmas cookies, your family and friends will love them!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill organic cane sugar, plus more for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free baking flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Strawberry and/or apricot jam
- 2–3 tablespoons organic powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and setting it aside for 15 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric standing mixer, whip the vegan butter until creamy and smooth. Add in the sugar and cream until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the flax egg, vanilla extract, and salt, then mix until smooth. Gradually add flour and baking powder, then mix until it is fully incorporated and uniform, scraping down the sides as necessary. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. In the meantime, get your jam out along with a 1 teaspoon sized measuring spoon.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of cane sugar into a small bowl. Using a 1-tablespoon sized scoop, scoop out a mound of dough and roll the dough between your palms to form a small ball. Roll the ball in the small bowl of sugar to full coat and then place the dough ball onto the baking sheet. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets at least 1½ inches apart.
- Using the back of the measuring spoon, your index finger, or end the end of a wooden spoon handle, make imprints into the center of each dough ball. Be sure not to press too deep and puncture through the dough. Spoon a small amount of jam (start with 1/2 teaspoon) into the center of each dough ball. Do not overfill.
- Transfer the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet.
- Once cooled, you can dust them with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- If needed, you can use Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose flour in place of the gluten-free flour. We have not tested this out but we are confident that it should work!
- Category: Dessert, Cookies, Christmas
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Dessert, Cookies, Christmas, Vegan, Gluten-free, Thumbprint, Jam, Strawberry, Apricot