A fool-proof vegan sheet pan roasted red pepper & tomato pasta sauce paired with roasted veggies, gluten-free pasta and kale. It takes less than an hour to put together and is perfect for meal prep!
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1 small head of garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped into wedges (about 3 cups wedged)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2–1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced * (see notes)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, or to taste
- 1 heaping cup chopped cauliflower
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced (I used Tofurky)
- 3 oz. sliced mushrooms (I used white mushrooms)
- 8 oz. Banza gluten-free Casarecce pasta (or any pasta of choice)
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale
- Vegan parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silicone baking mat.
- Using your hands, remove loose skin from the outside of the head of garlic. With a sharp knife, cut 1/4“-inch off the top of the garlic, or enough to expose the tops of the cloves. Wrap the head of garlic in a small sheet of parchment paper (optional), followed by a sheet of aluminum foil. Seal the garlic tightly, bring sure that there are no holes. Set aside.
- Starting on the left side of the baking sheet, place the tomatoes in a single layer, followed by the onions, red peppers, cauliflower, vegan sausage and mushrooms. Be sure to keep each ingredient separate (i.e. with their own kind) as they will be separated later on. Place the wrapped garlic on the baking sheet as well. Season everything with salt and pepper and place the pan into the oven to roast for 40 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package directions. When there are 2 minutes remaining in the pasta cooking time, add the chopped kale into the pasta water and mix through. Allow the kale to cook with the pasta. Drain the pasta and kale and transfer it back into the pot.
- Remove the pan from the oven. To a high speed blender, carefully add in the roasted tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions, along with 1/3 cup vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, red wine vinegar, and dried oregano. Open up the roasted garlic (still leaving it within the parchment and foil) and using oven mitts, gently squeeze the garlic head to remove the roasted cloves. You can add as much garlic as you’d like, I added the full head. If there are any juices left on the pan from the roasted vegetables, carefully pour those into the blender as well. Blend everything together until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add additional vegetable broth.
- Once the sauce has reached your desired consistency, add in the fresh basil and pulse until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the blended mixture into the pot with the pasta and kale along with the roasted cauliflower, mushrooms and vegan sausage (that are leftover on the baking sheet). Mix everything together over low heat until well combined.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
- Any extra garlic can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks of frozen for future use.
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Entree, Sheet Pan, Pasta, Dinner, Lunch, Vegan, Gluten-free