Italian seasoned baked tofu paired with white bean pumpkin seed pesto stacked high with lettuce, tomato, and avocado make for the perfect sandwich for a busy on-the-go lifestyle!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed*
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices of Italian Baked Tofu
- 1/4 cup White Bean Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Cut the block of tofu in half and then into 8 ½ inch thick slices. Place into a medium sized container and add in vegetable broth and garlic. Make sure the tofu is fully coated, then set aside to marinate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- On a medium sized plate, mix together your Italian seasoning and arrowroot powder.
- After about an hour, take your tofu slices, fully coat them on both sides with the arrowroot and seasoning mixture, then place onto the lined baking sheet. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once finished, top with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Toast the sourdough bread and then coat one side of bread with the white bean pesto spread. Assemble the sandwich with two slices of the baked tofu, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Close sandwich, cut in half, and enjoy!
- Learn how to press tofu in our step by step guide here.
- We used a silicone mat for this recipe. If you would like to use parchment paper, the coating may stick.
- Category: Entree, Lunch