An easy to make and foolproof recipe! This vegan Irish soda bread is ready in under an hour and requires just 10 simple ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2–4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes. The almond milk will curdle and this will form a vegan buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, mix together 3 1/2 cups of bread flour, raisins, brown sugar, flaxseed meal, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and caraway seeds. Mix together until uniform then create a well in the middle.
- Once the buttermilk is ready, whisk the melted butter into it, and then pour this wet mixture into the well of the dry mixture. Stir from the center outward, incorporating the flour as you go. If the dough is too wet, as flour as needed. We added in 1/2 cup more flour.
- Knead the dough in the bowl until a nice smooth ball of dough forms. Place the dough ball onto your prepared baking sheet. We added additional raisins on top for aesthetic purposes, but this is not necessary.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an X into the top of the bread dough to help with air ventilation. Place into the oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before slicing.
- We like to serve ours toasted with a smear of strawberry jam or vegan butter.
- You can use all purpose flour instead of bread flour but keep in mind that it will alter the structure slightly! It will have less chew than the bread flour version but it will still work!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Baked Goods, Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Irish Soda, St. Patrick's, No Yeast, Bread, Oven, Vegan, Baked Goods