The creation of this burger actually came together all on its own. Almost all of the ingredients that are in this burger were already available to us to use in my home, with the exception of the bread, mushrooms and large tomatoes that we ran to the store for. Periodically, my mom will whip out the slow cooker and make a huuuuge batch of beans for us to enjoy during the week, and to freeze for future meals. This time around, she cooked up pinto beans. All she does is cover 1 lb of beans in water (make sure it reached about 2 inches above the top of the beans) for 6 hours or overnight, drain, then place it into our slow cooker with 1 diced up onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 cups of water and 3 cups of vegetable broth. Turn that baby on low and let it cook the day through. You may need to add more water in during the day so if someone is home have them check on it!
I had leftover cooked rice from Easter, as well as Chris‘ Cashew Mustard Cheese Sauce recipe (below) that he used for a Deviled Potatoes recipe that he created (which will be up on ConsciousChris.net very soon, I’ll link it here when it is up!).
This recipe is jam packed with a whole lot of goodness. There is a plethora of vegetables in it, as well as your serving of grains and legumes for the day, granting you a complete protein source on this beautiful plant-based lifestyle.
Make sure you tag me on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan or twitter @sweetsimpleveg and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of my recipes, I love to see your photos!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 2 cups pinto beans (strained)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup diced green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- 4 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛-1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbs german mustard
- ½” fresh turmeric (peeled)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup veggie broth
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp black salt
- ½ medium sized potato, cooked (skin removed)
- Vegan burger buns or bread of choice (gluten-free if needed)
- Red onion
- Mix chia seeds with water and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Line a large baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Roughly chop vegetables, and then add all of the ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until uniform and broken down. (Make sure it’s not too chunky! We had to do this in two batches since our food processor is small).
- Scoop 3 tbs servings and form into patties (about ⅓" thick.
- Bake in oven at 350F on convection for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for another 8.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then assemble burgers as desired.
- Soak cashews for 2-4 hours or until soft. Add all above ingredients to high speed blender until cream and smooth. Add more cashews to thicken as needed. Add more veggie broth to thin out if too thick.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!