What’s Thanksgiving dinner without a hearty serving of stuffing?
Growing up, I used to LOVE my mom’s stuffing, I thought she was the most talented chef in the kitchen based on this one dish, as she would deliver every year, and the flavor would always be spot on. Once I grew up, my mom shared her secret recipe with me when I aided her in Thanksgiving prep….Stove Top Stuffing…uhhh, I’ll pass!Once going vegan, and shifting away from processed, prepackaged foods, I needed to find myself a replacement for this family ‘tradition’ we used to share. I also wanted to challenge myself and try for a gluten-free recipe as well.
My manager at my old job used to bring me gluten-free sourdough bread (infused with kale!) from Bread Srsly in San Fransisco, CA. It was the only place that you were able to get the bread (it was 2012 at the time), and I was obsessed! I hadn’t had it since she moved away that year, but I soon learned that I was able to get it shipped to me though their online shop. They only allow for minimum orders of 3 loafs, so I waited until I felt I needed this large shipment of bread, and stuffing seemed like the perfect occasion.
Once I started my online order, I was curious to see where the bread was actually sold in stores. To my surprise, I found that the bread was sold in a small shop in my town, 2 blocks from my house! What are the chances? I walked over one day before heading to class, and got my hands on this gluten-free goodness I had missed for so long.
The only thing I would say this bread lacks is the consistency of traditional sourdough bread. Not that the consistency of this one is unpleasant, but it has its own separate feel. The taste, however, isn’t much different, and is spot on from what I would say at least. My friends Yvonne, Sarah and I decided to create a full Thanksgiving Menu to share with you all on our blogs, to help you with planning the perfect vegan Thanksgiving feast for you and your loved ones to enjoy! Vegans and non-vegans alike will love our Thanksgiving menu!Each day, starting Nov. 1st, a new recipe will be released on www.SweetSimpleVegan.com, www.MyEclecticKitchen.com, and www.AhnestVeggie.com until our menu is complete, so be sure to follow along!
Please tag us @sweetsimplevegan @ahnestveggie @yvonne_deliciously_vegan and #ysjthanksgiving if you recreate any of our dishes, we’d love to see them!
- 6 cups firmly packed diced gluten-free sourdough bread
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dark raisins
- ¼ cup rosemary marcona almonds or any seasoned almonds of choice, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tsp fresh sage
- ½ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cup vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the diced bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until it is dried out and lightly browned.
- Heat water in a large skillet. Add in onions, celery, scallions and garlic until softened. Add in bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook on medium heat until everything is softened.
- Combine the bread cubes with the onion in a large mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients except the broth and toss together. Pour the broth in slowly while gently mixing, stirring, to moisten the ingredients evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the bread is lightly browned.
Need more stuffing recipes?
Check out these two recipes that I created last year for my collaboration with Yvonne!
Vegan Quinoa Stuffing (Gluten-free)Raw Vegan Thanksgiving StuffingAnd check out our Thanksgiving Menu from last year!
Disclaimer:This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same.However, this is not a sponsored post, 🙂 Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!