A vegan risotto that you can easily prepare in a rice cooker or in one pot on the stove. It is loaded with mushrooms, asparagus, and peas, plus it is easy to make! This recipe is perfect for back to school lunches or dinners, and can even be prepared in a dorm room.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine*
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced (225g)
- 8 spears asparagus, cut into fourths (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese (we use Follow Your Heart)
- Open the lid of your rice cooker, set it to “cook” and allow the surface of the rice cooker pot to heat up for a few minutes. Once it has heated, add in 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable broth along with the onion and garlic. Mix, close the lid and cook about 3-4 minutes, or until the onions and garlic have cooked through.
- Once cooked, pour in the white wine and stir to combine. Close the lid once more and allow it to cook for 3 minutes to allow the alcohol to cook off and the wine to reduce. Carefully open and mix everything around. If it still has not cooked off, cook it for 2 minutes more with the lid open.
- Add in the rice to the pot and stir to coat the grains of rice. Thoroughly mix and then close the lid for about 3 minutes, or until the rice absorbs most of the liquid.
- Add in all of the vegetables and stir to combine. If needed, add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable broth so that it does not burn. Close the rice cooker and allow the vegetables to lightly steam, about 4 minutes.
- Add in all of the remaining vegetable broth along with the almond milk, nutritional yeast and Italian seasoning. Mix until combined and then close the rice cooker. Allow for the risotto to cook for 20-25 more minutes, mixing halfway through. You will know it is ready when the rice is tender and there is a little bit of liquid remaining to make it slightly soupy.
- Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese as desired.
- Serve with a sprinkle more of parsley and parmesan. Enjoy!
- To cook on the stovetop, follow the same directions as the rice cooker but in a medium pot! For step 5, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Be sure you still mix the risotto halfway through! Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- If you would like to opt out of using the white wine, simply use more broth in its place. We recommend you add a touch of lemon juice or vinegar to spruce it up in place of the wine as well.
- To ensure that your wine is vegan, head to barnivore.com, an online vegan alcohol directory.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 36 minutes
- Category: Entree, Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Keywords: Entree, Lunch, Dinner, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Back To School, Risotto