If you’re looking for a hearty plant-based dinner, this one is for you. This creamy mushroom risotto will knock your socks off! It’s vegan, requires about 30 minutes of your time and is SO easy to make.
- 4 1/2 cups warm low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (1 cup), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 12 oz. mushrooms (we like baby Bella or shiitake)
- 2 cups short grain Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry vegan white wine (you can also sub more broth but wine is highly recommended)*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (we used Good Planet)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (we used Earth Balance)
- Optional: 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Optional: 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Vegan parmesan (we used Good Planet Foods)
- Parley, roughly chopped
- Warm the vegetable broth by either placing it in a small saucepan and bringing it to a gentle simmer over low heat or by popping it in the microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Remove the 1/2 cup frozen peas from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the counter as you prepare the dish.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add in the olive oil along with the onions and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until some grains begin to look translucent.
- Add in the white wine and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed. Next, add about 1/2 cup of the warmed broth along with the Italian seasoning. Continue stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed. Add the remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, and continue to stir constantly until absorbed. Lastly, add the almond milk and continue with the same process. You will know the risotto is done when the rice is tender but still a little firm in the center.
- Once cooked, remove the pot from heat and add in the mozzarella cheese, vegan butter, peas, and parsley. Stir until uniform and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a garnish or vegan parmesan cheese and fresh parsley as desired. Enjoy!
- You can verify if your wine is vegan or not by using Barnivore.com, which is an online vegan wine, beer, and liquor guide.
- You can also use 1/2 cup more vegetable broth in place of the white wine, but we highly recommend the wine for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Entree, Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
Keywords: Entree, Lunch, Mushroom, Risotto, Vegan, Italian, Rice