Learn how to make these simple and delicious potato and bean quesadillas with just a few simple ingredients. This recipe is perfect for both kids and adults alike and SO easy to make!
- 1 cup russet potatoes, diced small (about 1 cup diced; see notes)
- Optional: 1 cup roughly chopped kale (or greens of your choice)
- 5 large flour tortillas (see notes)
- 1 can (15 oz.) refried beans (or make your own)
- 1/4 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- In a small pot, add in the potatoes and cover them with about 2 inches of water. Bring the pot to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cool until the potatoes are soft, about 8 minutes.
- If you are using the optional kale: In the same pot as the potatoes, add in the kale. Using a spoon press them in under the water (without mixing through) and allow it to cook for a minute or two to soften. Remove the kale from the pot and set aside. Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes. Next, add in the refried beans, salsa, kale and vegan cheese. We used a small strainer to strain out additional liquid from the salsa to be sure that the quesadillas did not get soggy. We recommend this if you are able to do it! Mix everything together until nice and uniform.
- Heat a large pan over medium-low heat and add on the tortilla. Fill half of the tortilla with the filling (not too much, it should be about 1/4-inch thick) and then fold the other side of the tortilla over. Cook until the tortilla has browned and flip. Cook for a few minutes more on the other side until browned and remove from heat. Continue until you have used up all of the filling– we were able to make 5 large quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadilla if desired and dig in! We like to serve ours with additional salsa and homemade guacamole.
- – We are using burrito-sized flour tortillas for ours, but any size tortilla will work well– flour or corn. If you don’t have tortillas on hand, you can also use vegan naan or pita bread for something less traditional but still tasty!
- Refried Beans – We use canned refried beans from Rosarita, but any (vegan) canned refried beans will work. We have a recipe to make your own refried beans as well– you can also mash up a can of any beans you have to make it!
- Potatoes – Russet potatoes are our go-to for this recipe, but you can use any variety that you have on hand. Don’t have potatoes? Try mashing up cauliflower if you have some or just skipping this ingredient altogether.
- Vegan Cheese – We prefer the Follow Your Heart fiesta blend for our quesadillas, but any shreds you have available will do the trick. You can also grate a block of vegan cheese or slices.
- Salsa -We used Newman’s Own Organic Mild Salsa for this recipe. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand, and if you want to make your salsa, here’s an easy recipe.
- Kale (optional) – While kale is an optional ingredient, we recommend it. If you don’t have kale available, feel free to substitute with any greens of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree, Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Entree, Lunch, quesadilla, vegan cheese, mexican, easy, 5-ingredient, beans, kale