These crispy baked taquitos, also known as tacos dorados, are filled with a mixture of homemade mushroom walnut taco meat, mashed potatoes and vegan cream cheese. They are easy to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for your next party! Plus, they are vegan and gluten-free!
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line or grease a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Soak the walnuts for the taco meat in lukewarm water for 20 minutes to soften.
- Add the potatoes to a medium pot and cover them water until it is about 2 inches above the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high-heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with fork, 25-35 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the mushroom walnut taco meat. Once the taco meat is prepared, remove the pan from heat. Add in the cooked potatoes and using a potato masher or a fork, mash the potatoes into the mushroom mixture. It does not need to be completely smooth. Add in the vegan cream cheese and mix until everything is well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the tortillas until they are pliable and easy to work with. You can do this by heating them directly over a medium flame of a gas stovetop, about 10-20 seconds per side, or by placing (a maximum of five) tortillas on a microwavable plate, covering them with a damp paper towel, and microwaving in 30-second bursts until they are warmed through. It is important to heat the tortillas before filling them so that they do not break when handling.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoons of the mushroom filling at the end of a tortilla. Starting at the end with the filling, gently roll the tortilla into a tight cigar shape. You can secure the seam side of taquito with a toothpick, or place the taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet. I have tried both and the toothpick isn’t necessary. Continue until you have used up all of the filling.
- Place the taquitos evenly on the baking sheet liberally spray them with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
- We served our taquitos with vegan sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro, avocado and lime wedges.
- Category: Entree, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Entree, Party, Vegan, Gluten-free, taquitos, Mexican, mushroom, walnut