Learn how to make a delicious vegan chai latte at home. Frothy, flavor-packed and sweetened with dates, it is a must try!
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (or 6 green cardamom pods, cracked)
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea (or 6 black tea bags)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4–1/3 cup pitted Medjool dates or sweetener of choice
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (we prefer homemade almond milk)
- Place the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom seeds, star anise, and black peppercorns into a small saucepan over medium heat. Toast until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to shake or mix often to prevent burning.
- Once the spices are toasted, add in the 4 cups of filtered water along with the fresh ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and add in the black tea. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the non-dairy milk by heating it in a small saucepan or in the microwave until warmed through.
- Once the tea has steeped, strain the tea through a fine-mesh strainer into a high-speed blender or into another bowl and then transfer that into a blender. For an option with no blender, see notes. Discard of the spices, ginger, and tea.
- Transfer the non-dairy milk into the blender along with the Medjool dates. Blend the mixture until very smooth, at least 1 minute.
- Blend the mixture until very smooth, at least 1 minute.
- Serve warm with optional vegan whipped cream.
- Recipe adapted from The Kitchn.
- The tea base can be made up to 5 days in advance. All you have to do is follow the recipe through step #5 (skipping step 4) and then allow that mixture to cool completely. Transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
- Store any latte leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Be sure to allow it to cool before storing.
- If you would like to make this without a blender: Opt for a liquid sweetener. Instead of transferring the milk and sweetened to the blender, transfer them to a large bowl. Using a whisk, handheld milk frother or an immersion blender, whip the mixture up until frothy. Whisk in the tea mixture and serve immediately.
- Below are the ingredients if you would like to use ground spices. You can still toast the spices in the pan, but just do it for 1-2 minutes. Add in the water, bring it to a boil and then steep the tea as stated in the instructions and the continue with the recipe.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2-3/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds, 2 whole star anise, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (start with 1/2 if you want it less spicy), 4 cups filtered water, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea (or 6 black tea bags), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional), 1/4-1/3 cup pitted Medjool dates or sweetener of choice, 2 cups non-dairy milk (we prefer homemade almond milk)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Chai, Tea, Latte, Beverages, Vegan, Gluten-free