These broccoli cheddar stuffed potatoes are a twist on the classic creamy soup combination. Thinking outside of the bowl, we stuffed potatoes with broccoli, mushrooms, and onions and topped with a creamy chipotle vegan cheese sauce for an easy 30-minute meal.
- 6 small-medium russet potatoes, washed well and pricked with a knife or fork
- 1 cup diced white onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli
- ~ 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water, as needed to sauté
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Black pepper to taste, if desired
- Optional: Sliced green onions, to garnish
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring a large pot over water to a boil. Once boiling, add the diced potatoes, carrots and cashews for the cheese sauce into the water. Place a steamer pot on top long with the 6 small-medium russet potatoes. Cover with a lid and place on the stove on medium heat for 20 minutes for the bottom portion to boil and the potatoes on top to steam.
- In the meantime, place a medium pot over medium heat and add in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. Once the vegetable broth is heated, add in the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms along with additional vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning (we added 2 tablespoons more), and sauté until it the mushrooms reduce to about half of their size. Add in the frozen broccoli and cook until heated through.
- Carefully remove the potatoes, carrots, and cashews from the boiling water and place them in a high-speed blender. Place the large pot back onto the stove with the steamer basket so that the russet potatoes continue to steam.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the cheese sauce into the high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the russet potatoes from the steamer basket and carefully cut them open (you may need to allow them to cool if they are too hot to handle). Stuff the potatoes with the sauteed vegetables, then top with the chipotle cheddar cheese sauce.
- Garnish with green onions if desired and dig in!
- There will be leftover chipotle cheddar cheese sauce. You can save it in the refrigerator and use it on other recipes — find more ideas on how to use it here.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes