Inspired by my parent’s recipe, this bread boat is a fun and easy way to enjoy your veggies. After all, everything tastes better with bread! When we were in New Jersey earlier this year, my parents made us a vegetable bread boat that we were blown away by. After having it twice, we knew we had to recreate it with our own flair.
In the spirit of the season, we decided to make a pumpkin seed pesto and use seasonal fall vegetables for ours. The result was pure magic! We are super excited to share this recipe with you to enjoy on chilly fall evenings.This recipe is a part of our Fall Bento Box Series, sharing meals that are perfect for packing on the go! Check out our video above, sharing the step by step process of making this Grilled Fall Vegetable Bread Boat along with our Fall Pasta Salad w/ Avocado Dijon Dressing and a Hearty Fall Salad w/ Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Tahini Sage Dressing.This is also a part of our monthly collaboration with Caitlin of From My Bowl! We both put together a series of three Fall Bento Box recipes, including her Fall Vegetable Salad with Smoky Tempeh above, how bomb does that look?! And we love that she made it oil-free and easy to make.Make sure you tag us on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of our recipes, we love to see your photos!Print
Grilled Fall Vegetable Bread Boat w/ Pumpkin Seed Pesto
An Autumn inspired bread boat loaded with seasonal vegetables and pumpkin seed pesto. Baked to perfection, this boat is healthy, delicious and easy to make!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 (2 slice) servings
- Category: Entree, Fall
- 1 large loaf of sourdough bread
- 1/2-1 medium zucchini
- 1/2-1 yellow squash
- 1/2-1 Italian eggplant
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Oil-Free White Bean & Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can cannellini beans (or 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons water (or as needed to blend)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Prepare the bread. Carve out a wide and deep piece from the top (refer to the video in post). Hallow out the bread until you have a thin wall left for your boat. Cut the excess bread off of the top piece in order to create a lid.* Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and get a large baking pan ready for the bread.
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly slice the zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant into long strips. You’ll need 1/2-1 full zucchini, yellow and eggplant depending on the size of your bread.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a grill pan over medium heat, and once it has warmed through, add in your sliced zucchini strips and cook until nice grill marks have developed. Continue until you have grilled all of the vegetables, being sure to place them onto separate plates when finished.
- Next, prepare the pesto. Simply add all of the ingredients into a food processor and run until you have reached your desired consistency (we prefer ours to be slightly chunky). Set aside.
- To assemble, spread in a layer of pesto, followed by a layer of one of the grilled vegetables. Continue until the bread is full, rotating vegetables between each layer of pesto and being sure to leave enough room for the lid to fit on top.
- Once full, place the bread onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Allow the bread to cool until it can easily be handled, then cut into slices and serve.
- Use the leftover bread to create croutons, check out our recipe here:
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. However, this page may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!