Caramelized onions paired with thyme and vegan cheese, all wrapped in a flaky and rustic tart crust. Need I say more? This tart is perfect for entertaining guests and will be the hit of any party!
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalyan salt
- 1 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill Organic Sugar
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks or 3/4 cup) vegan butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes*
- 6 to 7 tablespoons of ice cold water*
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (roughly)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- Pepper, as desired
- 1 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (we used Follow Your Heart)
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Flour
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and preheat the oven to400°F .
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar together. Cut in the butter using a fork, kitchen sheers or pastry blender until it is grain and reaches the consistency of sand. Add the ice cold water, starting with 5 tbsp, and mix it with your hands until uniform. The dough should be moist but not soggy. Add remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time if still crumbly. Form the dough into, cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in about 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Once heated, add the sliced onions and thyme and cook down, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes. You will need to add more vegetable broth (1-2 tablespoons at a time) as time passes to prevent burning, but they KEY to perfect caramelization without oil is to only add more broth once all of the previously added liquid has completely cooked off. Also, we are not completely caramelizing the onions here, just cook them down to a golden brown (instead of caramel color). They will cook more in the oven. Season with pepper as desired and cool before adding to the batter.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and broth until thick batter forms. Add in the onions and vegan cheese and mix until uniform.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll the dough out into a rough circle, about 1/3” thick. Transfer it to the lined baking sheet.
- Spread the onion mixture over pastry, leaving about 1” around the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle with more thyme and pepper as desired. Fold in the galette crust. We pleated ours about every 3 inches.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is crispy and golden brown. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving and then dig in!
- You can use a kitchen sheet to chop up the butter in the bowl to make it easier.
- Be sure the water is ice cold so that the butter does not melt while mixing.
- Recipe adapted from Six Burner Sue.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Party, Baked Goods
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Appetizer, Side, Party, Tart, Caramelized Onions, Vegan