A long overdue recipe that I have been promising you ya’ll on Instagram and YouTube for too long, it is finally here! I am all about making healthier versions of childhood favorites of mine, and chocolate chip cookies of course have to be on that list.I came across a chickpea cookie recipe on my girl Steph’s youtube channel (Steph’s Plate), and I was inspired by her recipe to create one of my own.
The base of this recipe is protein-packed chickpeas, mixed with a natural fruit sweetener and my love, medjool dates and gluten free rolled oats for a dose of soluble fiber. I decided to add coconut since I had a lot in my kitchen that needed to be used (and it tastes so good in the recipe!), and of course cinnamon and vanilla because those are my favorite in cookies.
You can use either chocolate chips or chocolate chunks in this recipe, whichever you prefer or have on hand. The first time I made this recipe, I used all chocolate chips, the second time I did not have enough so I broke up a chocolate bar and it worked just fine!These cookies are great for a snack, breakfast, or even the perfect bite for a hike! My family and friends loved them, and I think that they will make the perfect place in your home, too.
And why oil-free? Check out Mic The Vegan’s video on oil, he presents it perfectly and is a great resource if you want to learn about the affects of oil.
Make sure you tag me on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan, Facebook @sweetsimplevegan and/or twitter @sweetsimpleveg and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of my recipes, I love to see your photos!
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds + 3 tbsps water
- 1 can cooked unsalted chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 8-10 large medjool dates, pitted (soaked in hot water for 10 mins then drained)
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats (roughly ground in recipe)
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the chia seeds with the water and allow it to sit for 15 mins to thicken.
- Blend all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor, until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips (in that bowl or in another if easier).
- Scoop 2 tbsp sized rounds onto a baking sheet and flatten them out to about ⅓".
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool then dig in.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!