Carrot Hot Dogs? Trust me, you have to try these. The carrots are marinated and cooked down to perfection, leaving them perfectly soft and smoky, with that classic hot dog flavor!
- 6 large carrots*
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (try making your own)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Trim the carrots down with a knife so that they are the same length as the buns that you will be using. We recommend cutting the thin end off and keeping as much of the thicker part of the carrot as possible.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the outer skin of the carrots. Once you have removed the outer peel, continue using the peeler to shave down the carrots to make them uniform in width all throughout. Optional: use the peeler to round out the ends of the carrots, to make them look like a hot dog. Set the carrots aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Add in the carrots and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the carrots are fork tender, about 10-12 minutes (cooking time may vary depending on thickness of the carrots). Remove the pan from heat and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, clean and oil the grill grates and set the grill to a medium heat.
- Remove from the carrots from the cooking liquid and transfer them to a clean plate. Brush the carrots with cooking oil of your choice. This will prevent them from drying out on the grill. Place the carrots on the prepared grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Flip the carrots and grill for 3-5 minutes more. Keep an eye on them to be sure that they do not burn.
- When the carrots have about a minute of cooking left, place the buns on the grill (cut side down) for about about 1 minute. Flip and grill the backside for 1 minute more.
- Remove the carrots and the buns from the grill and assemble your carrot hot dogs with toppings of your choice. Get creative and have fun with it!
- We try our best to get thick carrots when cooking these as they are more realistic!
- You will have marinade leftover after cooking the carrot dogs. We recommend using it for tempeh bacon. Check out this recipe and follow the cooking instructions to learn how to make it!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree, Summer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Entree, Summer, Vegan, Carrot, Hot Dog, Party, Grilled