This tofu bacon is an absolute game changer! It’s one of our favorite vegan bacon substitutes – it’s easy to make with ingredients you have on hand and begging to be turned into a hearty vegan BLT sandwich. All you need is 10 ingredients!
- 1 (16-ounce) block super firm tofu * (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a large baking sheet.
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain. Slice thin horizontally, about 1/4th to 1/8th inch thick, then slice vertically in half so you have long rectangular strips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add in half of the tofu and toss very gently. Arrange the tofu on the baking sheet. Since they are not going to expand, they can be fairly close together. Add the second half of the tofu to the liquid, toss, and arrange them on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the remaining liquid onto the tofu. Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until crisp, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- If you don’t have access to super firm tofu, you can opt for extra firm and press it beforehand. Learn how to press tofu here.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Side
- Method: Oven
Keywords: bacon, tofu, high protein, tamari, gluten free, breakfast, blt, side