A savory take on a breakfast classic, we are taking oatmeal to the next level with seasonal veggies, fresh herbs and spices, and a lot of love.
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, diced small
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced (we used Field Roast Italian)
- Green onions or chives
- ½ avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted & shelled pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika
- In a medium pot, add in the celery, shallot, garlic, and sweet potato along with about 2 tablespoons of the water. Sauté until the sweet potato has softened and the onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes, adding more water as needed to prevent burning.
- Add in the oats, remaining water, grated carrot and kale, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, until the oatmeal has cooked down and thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- If using vegan sausage, prepare it as the oatmeal cooks. Simply add the slices into a small pan over medium heat and cook until warmed through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the oatmeal is done, stir in the nutritional yeast, rosemary, and green peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the oatmeal to individual serving bowls and add toppings of choice. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Breakfast, Entree