This pumpkin pata is the perfect fall comfort meal. It’s creamy, vegan, simple to make, and ready in under an hour!
- 1 cup steamed cauliflower
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Boiling hot water (to soak the cashews)
- 16 oz. pasta of choice (gluten-free as needed)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or vegan butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- If you haven’t already, steam the cauliflower until fork tender. While that cooks, add the cashews to a small bowl or pot and pour over boiling hot water. Allow the cashews to soak for 20 minutes to soften. Drain both and set them aside for later.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or vegan butter along with the onions, garlic sage, thyme, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until fragrant and the onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or vegan butter, onions, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, and the onions are translucent about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in your pasta and cook according to the packaging instructions.
- Transfer the onion mixture into a high-speed blender, along with the soaked cashews, steamed cauliflower, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, nutritional yeast, fresh sage, fresh thyme, salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Line a small plate with a paper towel. In the same pan, prepare the fried sage. Over medium heat, add in the vegan butter and allow it to melt and warm through. Add in the sage leaves and sizzle until crispy and fragrant, about 1 to 3 minutes. Remove the sage and transfer it onto the paper towel-lined plate to cool and drain off excess oil. Leave the sage butter in the pan.
- Add the cooked pasta into the pan along with a splash of pasta water and the pumpkin sauce and mix until uniform.
- Serve the pasta topped with the fried sage and any other toppings of choice. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts take into consideration the addition of the fried sage.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: entree, lunch, dinner, fall, autumn, pumpkin, pasta, creamy, cashew, alfredo