Learn how to make this creamy one pot pasta with mushrooms and asparagus. This flavor packed dish is so easy to put together and is ready in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Better Than Bouillon No Beef Broth (or vegetable broth of choice)
- 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, ends removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Black pepper, as desired
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add in the vegan butter. Once melted, add in the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and sauté, often stirring, for about 3 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften and brown, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and mix through. Stir constantly for 2 minutes to cook the flour through.
- Add in the broth and pasta and mix until uniform.
- Allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Once simmering, cook for 5 minutes, being sure to stir it often.
- Mix in the asparagus and vegan parmesan and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the noodles are cooked through. The dish will seem watery at this point but don’t worry; it will thicken up perfectly!
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vegan cream cheese, lemon juice, basil, and parsley—season with black pepper as desired. We have found that we don’t have to salt the dish as the broth already brings in a lot of flavor, but add salt if you desire!
- Cover the pot and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir the mixture one last time. It should now be thick and creamy! Serve warm with a sprinkle of fresh parsley or basil for garnish and enjoy.
- Oil can be used in place of the vegan butter as needed.
- We have not tested this recipe with gluten free noodles so we cannot guarantee the results. From our experience, gluten free pasta is a bit more sensitive and may not keep its shape as well as traditional pasta.
- This dish was adapted from our One Pot Mushroom Stroganoff.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: one pot, pasta, mushroom, asparagus, easy, creamy