Avocado French Toast — sounds a little whacky, right? Rest assured, when sweet meets savory, this classic breakfast is transformed into something magical.
Cashew Butter Batter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 2 large medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
Spicy Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1–2 tablespoons hot sauce (we used Yellow Bird)
- 6 medium slices of sourdough bread*
- Vegan cream cheese (we used Miyoko’s)
- 2–3 avocados, sliced
- Fresh or dried chives
- Smoked paprika
- Add all of the batter ingredients into a high-speed blender and run until smooth. Pour into a wide bowl (at least wider than the bread you are using), and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken.
- In the meantime, whisk together the maple syrup and hot sauce in a small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Once the batter has thickened, prepare a medium nonstick pan or a griddle over medium heat. Take a piece of the bread and soak each side in the batter for 15-30 seconds, the longer the better! Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until dry and golden brown. Continue until you have used all of the batter or bread up.
- Cool the french toast a bit, then generously smear on some vegan cream cheese. Layer on the avocado slices, then top with chives, smoked paprika and desired amount of spicy maple syrup.
- You can use a break of choice, but try to be sure it is dry! If the bread is too moist, the french toast will end up soggy.
- Nutrition facts takes into consideration 1/2 tablespoon of cream cheese per slice of french toast.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch