This simple asparagus and cream cheese puff pastry is the perfect appetizer for the holidays. Not only are these puff pastries easy to make, but they’re packed with flavor that will impress just about anyone.
- 27 stalks thick asparagus, woody ends removed
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 9 large slices of vegan pepperoni
- Vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Almond milk, for brushing
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Transfer the asparagus to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, and season with a big pinch of both salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vegan cream cheese, chives, and garlic powder. Mix until uniform and set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet until it is about doubled in size and cut it into 9 pieces.
- Disperse the cream cheese mixture evenly amongst the 9 pieces of puff pastry and spread it out in the center, leaving about ½” of room around the edges.
- To each piece of puff pastry, add in a slice of vegan pepperoni, 3 stalks of asparagus, and a sprinkle of vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Brush two opposite corners of the puff pastry with almond milk, and then seal, being sure to really work in the outer corner so that it does not pop open when baking.
- Brush the whole pastry with more almond milk and then sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning, as desired.
- Transfer them onto the lined baking sheets and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool before serving.
- We recommend using thick asparagus so that it does not overcook too much.
- We used large vegan pepperoni (cold cut sized) from Sweet Earth. If your pepperoni is small, you may need to use 2 slices.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
Keywords: holiday, appetizer, puff pastry, asparagus, vegan, dairy free, cheese