This soft and delicious gluten-free flatbread only requires 5 simple ingredients and is ready to eat in about 30 minutes. Pair with your favorite curries, soups, or use as a sandwich wrap or pizza base. The options are endless!
- 1 1/3 cups (240g) unsweetened plain vegan yogurt (I used Forager)
- 8 teaspoons (36g) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (9g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (9g) salt
- 2 cups + 1 1/2 tablespoons (314g) Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-free Baking Flour + more as needed
- Garlic olive oil
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped (or herbs of choice)
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegan yogurt, olive oil, baking powder and salt until uniform.
- Sprinkle the gluten-free flour over the wet mixture and mix it through until a dough forms. The goal here is to have a smooth and soft dough that does not crumble and that is not too sticky. If the dough is too sticky, add additional flour, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, as needed. If the dough is too dry, add water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- Flour a clean work surface and preheat a greased pan over medium heat. We prefer to use a cast iron griddle or skillet for this as we have found it yields the best results vs. a non-stick pan. We also prefer to use our granite counters, a marble board or plastic cutting boards instead of a wooden one as we have found that it sticks less.
- Divide the dough into 8 and roll each into a ball. Place 1 ball on the floured work surface and using a rolling pin or an empty bottle, roll out the dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer the dough onto the heated pan and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes on each, or until browned and cooked through. Check the dough after 1 1/2 minutes to ensure that it is not burning. If it cooks too fast, lower your heat as needed. We often find that our first flatbread becomes the test for proper heat level/cooking time and the remaining flatbreads cook more efficiently and successfully.
- Transfer the cooked flatbread to a plate. If desired, brush it with the optional garlic olive oil and give it a generous sprinkle of parsley.
- Continue until you have cooked all of the dough. Serve warm. Store in an airtight container on the counter for 4-6 days.
- This recipe was adapted from Tasty.
- All gluten-free flour blends are different and therefore we cannot guarantee that another blend will work.
- Regular all purpose flour can work in place of the gluten-free flour of you are not gluten-free.
- Instead of garlic olive oil for brushing, you can also use melted vegan butter with garlic powder or fresh garlic that is sautéd until fragrant.
- We have tested this recipe with other vegan yogurt brands (Silk and So Delicious) and they work well in place of the Forager.
- You may need to adjust the flour as needed if the dough is too wet or add water if it is too dry. I shared the weights of the ingredients to try and prevent that!
- You can use any other oil in place of the olive oil in the bread.
- If you would like, you can mix seasonings or herbs into the dough as well to make it a flavored dough.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side, Bread
- Method: Stovetop