Tinolang Manok or Chicken Tinola was one of my favorite comfort foods growing up. This easy veganized version is made with healthy, nourishing plant-based ingredients and comes together in one pot in about 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inches fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 ½ cups vegan chicken
- 1 large or 2 small stalks of lemongrass, hard white part smashed and leaves tied into a knot (see notes)
- 6 cups water
- 6 teaspoons vegan chicken bouillon paste
- 2 tablespoons vegan fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 small chayote/sayote, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ small young papaya, peeled, deseeded, and cut into wedges
- 1 large handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1 large handful malunggay (moringa) leaves, hard stems removed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add in the oil. Once warm, add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and black peppercorns and cook for one minute more or until fragrant but not burned.
- Add in the tied lemongrass and vegan chicken. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add water, vegan bouillon paste, vegan fish sauce, and chayote to the pot and stir. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and continue a simmer for about 3 minutes, then add in the chunks of green papaya.
- Cook until the chayote and papaya are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and moringa and mix through, allowing it to cook for a minute to soften.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste and enjoy!
- Learn how to prepare lemongrass here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dqxvqc9r0
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: filipino, vegan chicken, soup, fall, winter, tinola, manok, vegan filipino, spinach, moringa