Learn how to make vegan miso soup at home with just 5 simple ingredients and 15 minutes. It’s packed with flavor and the perfect addition to a cozy dinner at home.
Miso Soup Base
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 sheet nori, broken into small pieces
- 1/3 cup white miso paste
- 1/2 block firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- Dash of tamari or soy sauce (optional)
Serve with (optional)
- 2 cups chopped curly kale, steamed
- 9.5 oz. soba, cooked (you can opt for rice noodles if gluten-free)
- In a medium pot, add in the water and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and add in the nori sheet. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the nori simmers, prepare the miso. In a small bowl, add in the miso paste. Using a ladle, carefully scoop some of the hot water and broth mixture onto the miso. Whisk until very smooth and set aside.
- Add the tofu and green onions into the pot and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Then remove from heat, add miso mixture, and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from heat and add in the miso mixture along with the kale and noodles (if using).
- Add a dash of tamari as desired and serve warm.
- It is important to prepare the miso in a separate bowl to ensure that it doesn’t clump.
- This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of the optional ingredients.
- If you are cooking noodles we suggest following the directions on their packaging. We cooked the noodles separately as that is what our package called for and then added them in at the end.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: miso, soup, japanese, vegan, gluten free, entree, tofu