This gingerbread loaf cake is soft, moist, and spiced to perfection. It’s the ultimate dessert to brighten the holiday season.
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- ¾ cup boiling hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (272g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Almond milk, as needed to thin
- Prepare an 8×4-inch bread pan with parchment paper or oil, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until smooth. Form a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix everything together until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined bread pan, being sure to smooth out the top of the batter.
- If you would like, you can lightly sprinkle the pecans or walnuts over top before baking the bread. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick runs clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- As it cools, prepare the cream cheese icing by mixing everything together in a bowl until smooth. Optional: To get it extra smooth, we like using an immersion blender.
- Drizzle the bread with the cream cheese icing and slice as desired (we cut ours into 12). Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
Keywords: holiday, dessert, gingerbread, loaf, spices, bread, cake,