These are the perfect on-the-go vegan snack or breakfast and make a great addition to weekly meal prep! With these vegan chocolate chip protein cookie bars, you won’t have to buy protein bars at the store ever again. These are sweet, chewy, chocolatey and packed with fiber and healthy plant-based protein.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup whole grain oat flour*
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan probiotic vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly spray a medium-sized baking dish* with coconut oil spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal and water, and set aside for 15 minutes to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the wet ingredients until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients until uniform. Add the wet ingredients and the flax egg, and mix until smooth.
- Pour the dough into the prepared baking dish and press down until it is uniformly spread and packed tight. Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, then cool completely.
- Once cooled, carefully flip the pyrex dish over onto a cutting board. The contents should slip right out. Flip the bards over once again, and cut into 12 even pieces.
- Serve with a glass or your favorite plant-based milk and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- We used a 6-cup rectangular pyrex dish that measures 8 1/2″ x 6 3/4″ x 2 1/2″.
- This recipe can be made completely gluten-free by using gluten-free rolled oats and gluten-free oat flour.
- We opted to leave out the chia seeds as the protein powder we used already contains some.
- Not only is this recipe easy, but it is also open to customization! If you don’t have coconut flakes, sub in more oats, if you want to use a different nut (or seed) butter, change it up! You can even use any other chopped nut of your choice, the variations are endless. Play around with this, have fun and make it your own!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes