- 3 cups coarse sea salt, plus more if needed
- 9x13 glass baking dish (or any size suitable for the length and width of the carrots)
- 5 large carrots (do not peel!)
- 2 TB vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut vinegar
Then pair with:
- Homemade bagels
- Vegan cream cheese (Kite Hill Chive is our favorite!)
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a glass baking dish, cover the bottom with a layer of coarse sea salt. Rinse the carrots and place them wet into the salt, making sure they do not touch the glass. Pour about a cup or so of salt over the carrots, or enough to fully cover.
- Place into the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the marinade with the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove from oven, and cool. Tap the salt with the back of a spoon to break it up, then remove the carrots. Peel off the skin, removing as much as you can!
- With a mandolin or sharp knife, slice into long thin strips.
- Place the carrots into a large ziplock bag, then pour the marinade over them. Seal, remove air, then around a few times to ensure they are all in the liquid.
- Place the carrots in the refrigerator for at least two days to marinate.
- Serve at room temperature. We enjoy ours on a bagel with capers, chive vegan cream cheese, red onions and fresh dill.
- Prep Time: 48 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins