If you’re new to Filipino street food, you’ll love this langka and banana Turon. They’re filled with sweet saba banana and ripe jackfruit, then fried in a crispy, caramel-coated lumpia wrapper. Enjoy immediately while hot and crispy!
- 6 fresh or frozen saba banana, halved lengthwise
- About 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Can of ripe jackfruit in syrup
- 12 individual spring roll wrappers
- 6 tablespoons granulated Sugar
- Neutral cooking oil, for frying
- Bowl of water for sealing wrapper
- Prepare the saba bananas. If using fresh, peel and slice into even 2 slices lengthwise. If using frozen, allow them to thaw until they can be safely cut. Cut them into 2 slices lengthwise and set aside.
- Prepare the jackfruit by straining it and slicing it into thin strips.
- Prep your workstation by putting the dark brown sugar in a shallow plate, having the lumpia wrappers handy, as well as a small bowl of water for sealing.
- Take one banana slice and coat it lightly in the brown sugar. If using frozen saba, you can wet the banana with water first before dipping it into sugar to help it stick.
- Arrange a lumpia wrapper in front of you in a diamon share. Place the banana about two inches from the bottom center. Take three or four jackfruit strips and place them on top of the banana slice. Lift the bottom corner and cover the filling, then roll it upward once.
- Take the left and right corners and fold them towards the center. Finish rolling the turon upwards until you have about one inch left. Dip your fingers in the small bowl of water and brush the edges with water. Complete the roll to seal. Repeat with the remaining turon.
- Prepare a wire rack for the turon to cool and drain on after frying. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a pan to 350 °F. Be sure your pan wide enough to fit the length of your turon.
- Once the oil has heated, sprinkle a large handful of the granulated sugar into the hot oil. Put in the turon then flip immediately to coat in oil and sugar. Sprinkle over the top with more sugar. Fry, flipping once until the wrapper turns golden brown and the extra sugar sticks to the wrapper.
- Transfer to the wire rack and continue with the remaining turon.
- Serve warm as a dessert or snack. Enjoy!
- We recommend using a wire rack rather than a paper towel-lined plate to drain the oil as the turon sticks to the paper towel.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: Banana, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Dessert, Snack, Filipino, Sweet, Jackfruit