My Mom’s Famous “Sweet Simple Beans” — Easy & Oil-free
- 1 lb beans of choice
- Vegetable broth (we used bouillon)
- 1 white onion, peeled
- Pressure cooker, slow cooker or pot
- Soak the beans in 3x the amount of water for a day (8 hours minimum) in the refrigerator.
- Drain and place into your pressure cooker*. Cover the beans with vegetable broth using “the first knuckle method: place your index finger into the beans so that the tip is just barely touching the surface. Add enough broth so that it comes up to the first knuckle line.
- Stick the onion into the broth in the middle of the beans. It is ok it it floats a bit!
- If using a pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 55 minutes. For white beans we cook for 35.
- Remove the cooked onion (if desired). Cool and dig in!
- We place ours in the pressure cooker at high pressure for 45 minutes. If you do not have one, you may do a slow cooker overnight or a stove top pot for a few hours until the beans are cooked.
- These beans will thicken as they sit and cool.
- Prep Time: 8 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins