Learn how to made melty and stretchy vegan mozzarella cheese at home—yes, you read that right. Get ready to have your mind blown! You’re going to feel like a vegan top chef at home with this vegan cheese recipe.
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tapioca starch (also known as tapioca flour)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling remove from heat and add the cashews. Allow the cashews to soak in the hot water for 30 minutes to soften then drain.*
- Add the cashews plus the remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium pan over medium-high heat and continually stir for about 5 minutes until gooey. Cook and stir for another minute to make sure it’s at the right consistency.
- Serve immediately inside a quesadilla, sandwich, lasagna, your choice!
- Tapioca starch/flour is key in this recipe. Other flours and starches will not yield the same result.
- If you have the time to, you can also soak your cashews overnight in room temperature or cold water.
- You can freeze the cheese into a block and then shred it with a cheese grater onto dishes that you will bake or heat (pizza, lasagna, pasta bake, etc.). We just suggest you do it while it is completely frozen or else it will be sticky and hard to grate.
- You can adjust or change the seasonings as desired, have fun with it!
- Adapted from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes