- 4 cups spent grain (dried) OR 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsalted creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 flax eggs*
- *Flax Eggs: Mix 2 tbsp flax seed meal with 6 tbsp water, and let it sit for about 10 minutes to fully thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine your flax eggs, peanut butter, and sweet potato until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add in the flour, and mix until it is uniform before adding in your spent grain or oats.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to about 1/4″ and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. You won’t get clean edges, so you can smooth the edges out with your fingers and some water if desired.
- Line the cookies up on baking sheets. The cookies don’t expand, so you can bake them fairly close together.
- Bake in oven at 350 F for 30 minutes, then reduce temperature to 225 F and continue baking the cookies for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven, cool, and share with your little friends!
Adapted from 17 Apart
The dried cookies will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container and you can even freeze them in ziploc bags.