Learn how to make this 4-ingredient vegan pumpkin gnocchi with less than an hour of your time! It a great recipe for fall dinners and is perfect for adults and kids alike! Plus, it’s a fun recipe to get the whole family involved in making.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour * (see notes)
- 1 large russet (baking) potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Garlic Sage Butter Sauce
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 20 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Black pepper
- Vegan Parmesan
- Place the potatoes into a medium pot, cover them with 2-inches of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until they are easily pierced with a fork, about 20-30 minutes. Drain (being sure to reserve about 1/4 cup of the starchy water) and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Using a potato ricer on the finest setting (or a boxed grater or a potato masher), mash the potatoes until very finely broken down and smooth. Measure out 3/4 cup (packed) potatoes and save any remaining potatoes for future use.
- Flour a clean work surface and place the mashed potatoes on it. Sift on the all purpose flour and add in the pumpkin and salt. Mix everything together with floured hands until a smooth dough is formed, adding additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time if the dough is too wet or 1 tablespoon of the reserved starchy water at a time if the dough is too dry. Keep in mind that the dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Once the dough is smooth, knead it for 30 seconds to a minute or until soft, being sure not to overwork the dough.
- Form the dough into a roughly 1/2 to 1-inch tall rectangle/loaf and cut it into slices horizontally. Roll each of these slices into a rope about 1/2″ in diameter, and then cut those ropes into your gnocchi! You can make the gnocchi whatever size you would like, ours were about 1/2” in length. Lightly dust work surface with flour between each rope as needed.
- You can either cook the gnocchi as is or create ridges on them with a fork or gnocchi board. You can do this by placing the gnocchi on the top of the fork or board and pressing it/rolling it down with your thumb. Place the gnocchi in a single layer on a cutting board and lightly dust them with flour. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Prepare the sauce. Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add in the vegan butter. Once the vegan butter has melted, allow it to cook in the pan for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the sage and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- When the large pot of water comes to a boil, add in the gnocchi and stir to prevent them from sticking. Boil until they float to the top of the water, and then allow them to sit for an additional 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon or a colander, scoop out the cooked gnocchi and place them into the other pan with the butter sauce. Place the pan back over medium heat and crisp up the gnocchi in the butter sauce for a few minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and a crack of fresh black pepper. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian, Vegan
Keywords: Italian, Vegan, Stovetop, Entree, Pasta. Gnocchi, Pumpkin, Fall