This vegan take on a classic orange chicken recipe checks all the boxes with crispy pan-fried tofu smothered in a zesty orange sauce. This vegan orange tofu recipe is gluten-free, easy to make, and ready in about an hour.
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil, for frying
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (or zest of 1 small orange)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger, packed
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Once pressed, cut into 1-inch cubes and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, and white pepper, and gently mix. Sprinkle over half of the cornstarch, mix, add the second half, and mix. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low, add the oil. Once heated, add the tofu and fry until golden brown. Remove tofu from the pan and set aside.
- To a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- In the same skillet that you fried the tofu, add in the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Add additional oil as needed. Sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the warm water and cornstarch until smooth. Add it to the simmering sauce and whisk through. Allow the sauce to simmer, mixing often, until thick, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the cooked tofu and sesame oil. Mix until well combined. Season with additional salt as needed.
- Serve over rice with green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Extra-firm tofu should also work for this recipe.
- Our favorite way to serve this easy orange tofu recipe is with Jasmine rice and steamed or roasted broccoli.
- White sugar or coconut sugar can also be used as the sweetener in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: North American Chinese
Keywords: Panda Express, Orange, Tofu, Plant based, Vegan, Entree, sweet, savory