Bring your banana bread to the next level with a decadent swirl of chocolate! This marbled chocolate banana bread is soft, moist, perfectly sweet, and easy to make. Plus, it’s vegan and free of both dairy and eggs.
- 1 1/3 cups (331g) mashed banana (about 2 1/2 large)
- 3/4 cup (164g) sugar * (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (105g) melted coconut oil *(see notes)
- 1 tablespoon (15g) apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/3 cup (78g) warm plant-based milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon (1g) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (16g) flaxseed meal (or chia seeds)
- 2 cups (280g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (4g) sea salt
- Heaping ⅓ cup (70g) vegan dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup (85g) walnut halves, chopped (optional)
- Line an 8×4-inch bread pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all the wet ingredients to a large bowl and mix until uniform. Set aside for 5 minutes so that the flaxseed meal can thicken.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave at 30-second intervals. Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold until just combined. Be careful not to overmix! If using, fold in the walnuts or add-ins of choice.
- Add half the batter (about 500g) to the melted chocolate. Fold until uniform.
- Alternating between the chocolate and plain batter, spoon the batter into the prepared pan using an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup.
- Bang the pan on the counter a few times to help the batter settle into any air pockets. Then use a toothpick or butter knife to swirl the batter together. Less is more! A couple of swirls should be enough.
- Bang the pan against the counter again to level out the batter. Bake for 55-60 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick runs clean.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven. After 15 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- For a subtler chocolate flavor, substitute ¼ cup (20 g) of cocoa powder for the melted chocolate.
- We do not currently have recommendations for gluten-free alternatives.
- We tested this recipe with granulated sugar, brown sugar, and coconut sugar, and all worked well.
- We used 3/4 cup sugar for the banana bread because we like it on the less sweet side, but if you want it to be sweeter, you can add 1/4 cup of additional sugar.
- The plant-based milk must be warm, so the coconut oil does not solidify/get chunky.
- Melted butter should work in place of coconut oil. We have not tested it but based on our experience; it should work fine!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: banana, bread, snack, dessert, marbled, breakfast, baked goods