This instant pot lentil noodle soup recipe is made with wholesome ingredients for the perfect cold-weather meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped small
- 3 stalks celery, chopped small
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (plus more if desired)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or homemade) * (see notes)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 8 ounces small pasta (baby shells, tiny farfalle (bows), ditalini, etc.)
- Black pepper, as desired
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
Serve with (optional)
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Crusty bread
- Set your instant pot to the saute setting. Add in the oil and allow it to heat up, then add in the onions, carrots. and celery. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until they begin to soften and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Throw in the thyme (whole sprigs), bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and canned tomatoes. Using your spatula, break apart the tomatoes as best you can.
- Lastly, add in the vegetable broth, lentils, pasta, and a pinch of black pepper.
- Stir to combine. Set the instant pot to pressure cook and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once it has finished, do a quick release. We like to release the pressure with a towel over the valve to control the steam a bit.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Add in 2 handfuls of baby spinach and mix through.
- Serve as is or with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan and fresh parsley. This also pairs well with toasted crusty bread!
- We like to use low sodium broth and add additional salt if needed to prevent it from being overly salty. Keep in mind that canned lentils are typically salted so that will add to the sodium content.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: soup, lentils, pasta, winter, entree, instant pot, 30 minutes